Friday, August 14, 2015

God Knows Best

This is LONG but it's something I want to remember! Not that anyone reads this but me!
In January of 2014, Matthew found out he would be laid off at Citi. He was in the first round of many rounds where thousands if people would lose their jobs.
February 14th was his last day and he got paid/kept his insurance through April. He also received a severance package. We decided to use the severance money on school for Matthew. He has always regretted not getting back into the medical field and it seemed that this was his chance. We expected that he would go to school throughout the summer and have a job by September or October at the latest. With Matthew drawing unemployment, we could make it until then. 
Meanwhile, I had some big changes going on with my job. In July of 2013, Matthew and I decided that I would resign from teaching and run an in-home daycare so that I could be home with the boys. Well in July of 2014, a job opening became available at our church. It sounded like the perfect job for me. I would be working part-time doing the things that I loved: planning lessons, organizing classrooms, recruiting volunteers, teaching kids about Jesus...so it may have seemed crazy for me to take a bit of a pay cut (because we would have to pay for some kind of child care now) when Matthew was unemployed!! Well God knows what He's doing, even when it seems crazy or even impossible. 
Fast forward to April of 2015. Matthew had STILL not been able to find a job! By now, we were anxious and worried, and Matthew's unemployment had ended so we were completely strapped financially. Finally, Matthew was able to find a job through Texas Workforce Solutions. It wasn't exactly what he wanted to do, but it was a job and enough money for us to get by on. 
Now fast forward about a month. Matthew hates his job. He's not a good salesman, and he feels directionless. He was depressed at home and anxious to go to work everyday. So he was honest with his employers and with me, and he began looking again. His employers were such a huge blessing to us. They understood his work concerns and even said they'd help him find another job. They wanted to keep him on with their company as long as possible. 
I still remember the day that Matthew texted me and said that there was an opening for a manager of a company called PicSolve, which is the company that takes pictures of families a inside of Legoland and the SeaLife Aquarium.  I remember thinking, that would be cool but I don't want to get my hopes up. I had really gotten burned during that year, hoping for things that never happened. Long story short (ha!) Matthew ended up getting the job! And he loves it!! And he's really good at it from what I've seen. It's just the perfect job for our family. He's off a couple of days with us during the week. And of course daddy is a hero because he gets to see the octopus every day!
The ONLY downfall is that they are giving Matthew and his team six months to be successful. At the end if that time period (which may be sooner than six months actually), they will decide if they are going to keep the program going or not. So we are praying about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment